Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Paczki Day


So almost 100 years ago my great grandma came here from Poland. She eventually made it up to Detroit, where a lot of my family still live and a lot of Polish immigrants made it around the same time. So even though it is also Mardi Gras down in New Orleans. For some of my family it is also Paczki Day. Below is an article for some clarification on what a Paczki is. So I'm going to go seek out a jelly doughnut and celebrate.


Article from: Six Degrees of Inspiration as well as the photograph.
"Paczki are traditional Polish doughnuts. Pączki is the plural form of the word pączek in Polish, but Michiganians use paczki as singular and paczkis as plural.

A paczki is a deep-fried piece of dough shaped into a flattened sphere and filled with jam or other sweet filling. A traditional filling is marmalade made from fried rose buds. Fresh paczki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing or bits of fried orange zest.
So, basically, they’re jelly filled doughnuts, though there are literally tons of flavors nowadays. "

2 comments:

Becky said...

Okay, I confess it's not the same as standing in a line at Sweetheart's or Martha Washington Bakery in Hamtramck for a big box of paczki's but I actually found some at of all places, Wal-Mart in Newnan Georgia! The box actually said "PACZKI" on it too! One lady getting a box when I went for a box asked "Whats a Pa Zee Kee?" I just shook my head and said I didnt know....Some things you can't explain when your in a hurry.

Weightlifting Shoe said...

Great deals of details one can find in this impressive message.
many thanks for your excellent job behind this definitely extraordinary details.
Best Weightlifting Shoe