Saturday, September 17, 2011

Study, Study Study get your brain in gear

I've been graduated from college since 2007. I've been working in my field about a year before I graduated. Balancing school and work was difficult but rewarding. I got to take the real life skills I was using at my job and put them into my school designs.  So what I'm getting at is that it has been a long time since I've studied for something.

I realized earlier this year that I finally had enough work experience to apply for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam. After signing over my kidney I was accepted to take it. Just kidding not a kidney they just wanted a lot of information.

In short it means I know my stuff and can design a space that people can exit safely in case of a fire, I know how things are built and constructed, and I know the process of how an interior design project needs to be run.  A lot these things I deal with on a daily basis, project management, drafting, programming.  Code names for flammability not as often i.e. NFPA 701. In case you are wondering that's a code dealing with the flammability of fabrics, specifically drapery. Yes I care about the fire rating of fabrics and I read about it when I select them but I don't conscientiously think about the NFPA 701.

The test is coming up at the end of this month and I've been revising like a fiend, taking practice tests and carrying flash cards to make sure I don't forget anything. It's been a throw back to college life and it's been strange.  I'll take 2 parts now in the fall and take a drafting practicum in the Spring. I wanted to be prepared but not overloaded. After all it's been a while since this girl's bubbled in a scantron test.


No comments: